Effective Practices and Predictors
NTACT is charged with assisting stakeholders in implementing evidence-based and promising practices and predictors that promote positive post-school outcomes for all students with disabilities. Throughout the website and other resources from NTACT, effective practices and predictors have been evaluated regarding the amount, type, and quality of the research conducted, and are labeled as either (a) evidence-based, (b) research-based, or (c) promising. Currently NTACT is not identifying “unestablished” practices, but recognizes that there is a body of practices in the field for which there is not yet evidence of effectiveness. These designations indicate the confidence one can have in the likely effectiveness of the intervention, when implemented as defined and recommended. Please see our descriptors, definitions, criteria, and about NTACT’s levels of evidence, if you are interested. Additionally, if you have questions about our ongoing process of reviewing the literature in the field of secondary special education and transition including transition planning, academic instruction, employment and life skills preparation, school completion, and vocational rehabilitation, please contact Dr. David Test, email@example.com.
NTACT has developed Practice Descriptions and Lesson Plan Starters for many of the Effective Practices and Predictors. Additionally, NTACT will link users to outside sources, such as the Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Evidence-Based Practices for Vocational Rehabilitation (RRTC on EBPs for VR) for more detailed explanations of practices identified through other sources. In each of the Effective Practice Descriptors, the evidence for the practice will be indicated.
Effective Practices and Predictors Matrix
Effective Practices and Predictors
NTACT disseminates resources to guide practice that are developed from the best available evidence of effectiveness. Throughout our website resources developed directly from the research are indicated as Evidence-Based, Research-Based, or Promising. Learn More...
Additional Background Resources
- Predictors Correlated with Post-School Outcome Areas
- NTACT Executive Summary of Evidence-Based Practices and Predictors
- EBP Matrix for Graduation Practices
Links to practice descriptions for effective practices for dropout prevention and school completion
- EBP Matrix for Academic Practices
- EBP Matrix for VR Practices
Links to practice descriptions for effective practices in vocational rehabilitation
- Literature Map of Dropout Prevention Strategies
- RRTC-EBP VR
- Dropout Prevention Practice Guide
- Taxonomy for Transition Programming 2.0
- Quality Checklist - Correlational Research
- Quality Checklist - Group Experimental Research
- Quality Checklist - Single Case Research
- Quality Checklist - Qualitative
NTACT develops annotated bibliographies on current topics in secondary transition, school completion, and post-school success to assist novice and seasoned researchers. We are currently updating some of the annotated bibliographies written under the NSTTAC grant. If you are looking for a specific resource, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can let you know the status of its development.
- Assistive Technology
Originally prepared by Kelly Kelley, NSTTAC, 2009. Updated by Kelly Clark, NTACT and Kathryn Haughney, UNC Charlotte, 2016
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Transition Planning
Provide practitioners with relevant research and resources regarding issues and strategies in transition planning with CLD students.
- Data-Based Decision Making
Data-based decision making refers to collecting, analyzing, and reporting data to drive school improvement
- Early Warning Systems Annotated Bibliography
Prepared for NSTTAC, 2016, by Mathew Klare and Bradley Stevenson, UNC Charlotte
- Family Involvement Annotated Bibliography
Annotated bibliography of resources on guidance and issues regarding parent and family involvement in the transition planning process.
- Financial Literacy Annotated Bibliography
Annotated bibliography regarding a person's competency for managing money.
- Health Issues and Transition Planning Annotated Bibliography
Annotated bibliography regarding research and guidance for health issues and the transition planning process.
- National Longitudinal Study - 2 Secondary Analyses Annotated Bibliography
Annotated bibliography of articles published from 2011 - 2015 using the National Longitudinal Transition Study-2 data set.
- Peer Mediated Supports
Peer mediated supports involve typical peers without disabilities providing assistance to classmates with disabilities
- Personnel Development Annotated Bibliography
Empirical evidence of the effectiveness of approaches to PD for secondary and transition practitioners.
- Sexuality and Transition Planning Annotated Bibliograpy
Annotated bibliography regarding sexuality and young adults with disabilities.
- Summary of Performance
Serves as the link between high school and post-school experiences by providing a document that includes evaluation records, post-school goals, and accommodations to support attainment of post-school goals for students with disabilities
NTACT develops Quick Guides on topics that have relevance to secondary students with disabilities, but have been thoroughly researched and described by other organizations or centers. The Quick Guides overview the topic and its relevance for secondary students with disabilities and provide links to resources that may be useful for administrators, practitioners, family members, or youth.
- Competitive Integrated Employment
- Mental Health and Transition Planning
- Response to Intervention
- Tier 1 Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
- Tier 2 Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
- Transportation and Travel Instructions
- Universal Design for Learning at the Secondary Level
Tell us what you think! email@example.com